Up The P-rr-tt Society Contents Contact

Family Notes June 2018
Family Notes March 2018 Family Notes June 2018 Family Notes December 2018



Family Notes - June 2018

This is a sample of the information provided to members of the P*rr*tt Society in the most recent edition of Family Notes. Family Notes is a 56-page printed magazine that is distributed to society members every quarter.

horizontal rule

Madness and murder in Edwardian Bristol

George Stephen Perrett (1855-1914) was the oldest child of Thomas Perrett (1834-1904) and Eliza Mozley. They were descendants of the Over Stowey Perrett family who had moved to Bristol, where Thomas’ father, James Perrett, worked as a tanner.

The family lived in Bristol and early in his life – certainly before the age of 6 –George lost his hearing following a fever and was subsequently considered to be deaf and dumb throughout his life, though he may have had some limited ability to use language.

There is no record of George attending school – the education of deaf and dumb children did not become compulsory until 1893 – so while younger siblings Thomas and Ellen were out at school, George would presumably have stayed at home with his mother. Perhaps he found some enjoyment in helping her to cook for the family, as by his mid-teens he had found employment as a baker’s assistant. His brother Thomas later went into the same line of work, so it is possible that the brothers worked together.

Despite his communication difficulties, George met – and apparently married – Jane Herbert in the 1880s, though it has not been possible to locate a marriage record for them and later George would say – via an interpreter – that he couldn’t remember where he’d married Jane. So perhaps they were never legally married at all. Certainly by 1891 they were living together as man and wife and in spring of 1899, Jane gave birth to a daughter, Minnie Ethel Maria Perrett, who sadly died later the same year. A second daughter, Alice Maud Perrett, was born in 1902.

George and Jane’s union was not a particularly happy one. When Jane drank alcohol it caused her to have a violent temper and most of the money George earned – 27 shillings out of 29 shillings per week – was given to Jane.

In November 1905 neighbours heard things being smashed in the Perrett house and later saw Jane running up and down the road, pulling her hair and dancing. Then, on the evening of 1st December 1905, Jane Perrett complained to Frederick Hobbs, her next-door neighbour, that men were hanging around in her backyard, but when he went outside with his dog there was no-one to be seen.

On 2nd December 1905 George left home at one o’clock in the morning to start his work as a baker. He kissed his wife goodbye and said ‘good-bye’ to his daughter Alice Maud who had woken up.
Later that morning, a boy employed by the local greengrocer, Augustus Davies, called at the family home and was startled by what he saw. When Augustus went there for himself, he saw Jane leaning against the passage wall with a piece of bodice, some rag and a piece of silk tied around her neck.

He asked “What’s the matter, Mrs. Perrett, are you ill?”
In reply, Jane said “I’ve killed my child” in a quiet voice.

With George not yet returned from work, the concerned greengrocer called Mary Anne Hobbs from next-door who noticed that Jane appeared close to fainting, so took hold of her and commented that it appeared she was strangling herself. Tearing the cloth from her neck, they realised that Jane had cut her own throat.Together, Augustus Davies and Mrs. Hobbs managed to get Jane into an armchair in the kitchen. By now, other people had come to the house. Augustus went upstairs and found Alice Maud lying dead on the bed, wearing a chemise, white jacket and blue socks. Her forehead was cold and she seemed to have been dead for some time. Dr. O’Brien was called to examine the child’s body and noted that Jane was in a weak but excited state and of unsound mind to the best of his belief.

A coroner’s inquest was held on 5th December 1905 and George Stephen Perrett gave his testimony via an interpreter from the Bristol Christian Mission Deaf and Dumb Institute, which had been founded in 1884.

Augustus Davies the greengrocer, called as a witness, said that Jane had always been peculiar in her character, but she had seemed cheerful when he’d called on her the previous week and he’d never seen her in a drunken state.

Mary Anne Hobbs gave a similar account – Jane was strange in her manner and sometimes looked very wild, but she’d never seen anything to suggest cruelty towards the child. Jane then unexpectedly accused Mary Anne of saying she was going to put her baby on the fire, which Mary Anne denied.

The coroner’s inquest determined that Alice Maud had most likely died from shock following the attempted strangulation and Jane was found guilty of wilful murder.
In February 1906 Jane Perrett was indicted for the wilful murder of Alice Maud Perrett and pleaded guilty “with the utmost composure”. The Judge, however, entered a plea of not guilty and directed the jury to try the case on the basis of the prisoner’s sanity. She was found guilty and certified as a ‘homicidal maniac’, to be detained at His Majesty’s pleasure.

On 20th February 1906 Jane was committed to Broadmoor Criminal Lunatic Asylum, where she would remain until her death on 10th November 1929. George continued to work as a baker in Bristol. On the 1911 census he gives his marital status as single and was living at a lodging house near the city centre. He died in Bristol in 1914.

We will never know exactly why Jane decided to take her daughter’s life that day. Did she have an undiagnosed mental health condition? Was it a consequence of syphilis perhaps or maybe post-natal depression? How had she been affected by the earlier loss of her first baby? Did she struggle to communicate with her husband? Was she afraid her husband would take her daughter away because of her drinking? There are so many possible factors that might have contributed to this sad story.
Although George had no surviving descendants, his brother Thomas ensured that the Perrett name lived on, producing seven sons and one daughter. His third son, born in 1890, was named George Stephen Perrett after his uncle.


horizontal rule

P*rr*tts in prison

Nineteenth century gaol registers for Somerset have recently been made available on the Ancestry website and, as one would expect in this part of the country, there are a number of P*rr*tt items of interest.

James Prowse Parrott was admitted to Wilton Gaol on 6th October 1875 for using threatening language. He had been sentenced to six months imprisonment unless sureties could be found … which they duly were and he spent just three days in prison. James was the son of John Parrott and Mary Prowse, baptised at Wilton on 2nd February 1823. He appears on the 1841 census working as a baker in Aisholt. One can only imagine the type of language James must have used to result in such a punishment, as I cannot find any report of this in the newspapers.

In 1854 Simon Perrott of Marston was committed to Wilton Gaol for six months’ imprisonment. He was the son of Thomas Perrott and Ann, baptised as Simon Ashby Perrott in Marston in 1832. At the time of his imprisonment he was 22 years old, 5ft 4˝ins tall, with a fresh complexion, blue eyes and brown hair. Records show that he had a cut on his little finger and a mole on his neck, as well as ‘E.G.’ and a heart on his left arm which one supposes refers to a tattoo. His crime, along with Zenus Cliff and Charles Lewis, was “placing a wheelbarrow on the Wells, Somerset, and Weymouth line of railway, with intent to obstruct and injure an engine, tender, and track, and to endanger the safety of persons travelling on the line”. The wheelbarrow was spotted by the driver of a goods train on its way to Frome which smashed into the wheelbarrow without doing any damage to the engine. Following his time in gaol, Simon found work as an agricultural labourer and married Fanny Garrett, with whom he raised a number of children. There is no evidence of any further criminal misdemeanours.

Sometimes the most trivial offences could result in time in gaol. In 1824 Mary Ann Perrott aged 25 was sent to prison for “leaving her work”. Mary Ann was 5ft tall with grey eyes and brown hair. She had been born in Dartmouth, but her most recent place of residence was Kingsbrompton. Her crime resulted in one month of hard labour at Wilton Gaol. She was, most likely, the daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth who was baptised at Broadhempston, Devon on 15th December 1799.

A more serious crime was that of Robert Perrott, who was admitted to Ilchester Gaol on 15th July 1808. He was convicted of grand larceny and sentenced to seven years’ transportation. On 27th October 1808 Robert was delivered to the prison hulk H.M. Retribution on the river Thames. The Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette records that his crime was receiving malt and barley from J. Evans which had been stolen from a brewery in Bath, together with a bridle that had been stolen from Mr. Bendall of Widcomb. A search of the prison hulk registers reveals that Robert was never transported – he was, in fact, pardoned on 30th August 1811. He is probably the same Robert who was buried at Walcot St Swithin, Bath on 22nd January 1843.

In 1870 30 year old William Perrott was imprisoned at Wilton Gaol on a charge of bastardy for three weeks or to be released on payment of 6 shillings. The most likely candidate for this offence is William Perrott born 1840 in Clatworthy to William Perrett and Elizabeth Jones, particularly as his three oldest children – William, Elizabeth and Tom – were born prior to his marriage to Elizabeth Jane Stone in 1868. This family had moved to Cornwall by 1872 and afterwards to Salford, Lancashire. William died in Northwich, Cheshire in 1906.

horizontal rule


Ania Waterman (2060) found this signed photograph of Wing Commander Peter Lawrence Parrott (272) (1920-2003) on eBay. Peter was a member of the P*rr*tt Society during his lifetime, but prior to that he had an illustrious career in the RAF.

Peter joined 607 Squadron in 1940 at the age of 20 and was the first pilot in his squadron to fly a Hurricane. During the Second World War – to his embarrassment – he appeared on recruitment posters with the words ‘Volunteer for Flying Duties’.

After the war he worked as a test pilot for the Vampire and Meteor and eventually left the RAF in 1965. He went on to work for the Libyan royal family and government, a job which included his plane being destroyed by Israeli bombers in 1967 at Damascus airport and an arrest in 1972 when he was sent by Gadafi to collect Idi Amin from Uganda and wrongly suspected to be a mercenary.

Peter, who was married to Mary Dunning, was a descendant of the Aylesbury Parrott family, which previously came from Wotton Underwood in Buckinghamshire. There have been a number of other Society members over the years descended from this family.

Peter’s obituary appeared in The Telegraph in 2003 and can be read here:

Lieutenant-Colonel Thomas Perrott (1851-1919) is pictured here in 1899 with Captain A. C. Currie. He had been commissioned into the Royal Artillery in 1870 and was appointed Assistant Superintendent of Experiments at the School of Gunnery in 1885. By the time of the Second Boer War he had become Chief Instructor at the School of Gunnery in Woolwich.

Later accolades included his appointment as Brigadier-General commanding the Scottish coast Defences in 1906 and Commander of the Royal Artillery in Gibraltar in 1910. He briefly retired in 1913 before being recalled to serve as an Inspector of the Royal Horse Artillery and royal Field Artillery at the beginning of the First World War. His final rank was Major-General and he was a Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath.

Thomas was born in Cork, Ireland, the son of Samuel Willy Perrott and Anne Hennis and married Gertrude Cornwall. Thomas died in Chichester in 1919.

horizontal rule

Send mail to webmaster@p-rr-tt.org.uk with questions or comments about this web site.
Last modified: 17 December 2018